Get a Card

To Get a Library Card

Any person who lives or owns taxable property within the Chillicothe Public Library District may obtain a Chillicothe Public Library card. To obtain a library card, apply in person at the Circulation Desk. Proof of residency must be shown by providing a photo ID with your current address or a recent bill addressed to the resident.

To obtain a juvenile card (issued to those age 18 and younger), an adult who is responsible for the child applying for the card must agree to accept responsibility for the items checked out using that card.

You must apply for, carry, and use your own library card. You are responsible for all use of your card. If you lose your library card, please contact Circulation Services immediately.

You may not use a library card registered to another patron, including that of a spouse or of a child age 18 or older. Patrons may give permission for family members to collect holds on their behalf. This must be on record with our circulation staff before a patron may pick up holds for a family member.

Additionally, parents may check out materials on behalf of children age 15 and younger using the child’s card.


Nonresident cards may be issued for a fee of $164.00 and are effective for one year. The nonresident card fee is calculated using the general mathematical formula allowed by Illinois law, is reviewed annually, and may change each year on July 1. Please note that, by law, non-residents generally must apply for non-resident services at the public library they are geographically closest to OR serves the school district in which they reside.

Non-Resident Property Owners

If you do not live within the Library District but own property within the District limits, you also are eligible for a free library card. One card may be issued per parcel of property to the person whose name appears on the current tax bill. Please bring this tax bill with you when you apply for your library card.

Non-resident property owner cards carry all the privileges of resident cards.

Reciprocal Borrowers

If you live in Illinois and have a valid card at your home library, you can register as a reciprocal borrower at Chillicothe Public Library District. Just bring your current library card and a photo ID to Circulation Services. Please apply when your home library is open so we can call your library to complete your registration.

Reciprocal cards are valid until your home library card expires.

Patrons whose home library is a member of RSA (Resource Sharing Alliance) can use their home library card without additional registration.

Lost Cards

Lost cards must be replaced. The replacement fee is $2.

Comments are closed.