May 18th, 2010 Minutes
Chillicothe Public Library District
Board of Trustees Regular Meeting
May 18, 2010
I. Call to Order
The regular meeting of the Chillicothe Public Library District Board of Trustees was called to order at 6:37 p.m. on May 18, 2010 at the Library. Present: Martha Canopy, President; Jane Harrison, Vice President; Ralph O’Sullivan, Trustee; MJ Evans, Trustee; and Susan Drissi, Library Director. Absent: Patty Audo, Treasurer; Wed Turner, Secretary; and Carie McIntyre, Trustee.
II. Pledge of Allegiance
All present united in giving the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag.
III. Public Participation/Oral and Written Communication – None
IV. Regular Session
· Minutes of April 20, 2010 meeting
The minutes of the regular meeting of April 20, 2010 were approved as printed.
· Treasurer’s Report
The Finance Committee expects to end the year at $78,000, some in restricted accounts. They will have a better picture during the June meeting. Many suggestions have been made for using the remaining money. Suggestions include repairing the library entrance and reserving the funds for other expenses.
Wed Turner, Secretary arrived at 6:45 p. m.
A motion was made by MJ and seconded by Jane to transfer $25,000 from account 130-4, CEFCU MM Liquidated to account 100, Cash – CK 1st National and pay the bills. The motion passed unanimously.
· Reports of Staff, Director, and President – Martha reported that she has passed out copies of “Ordinance 101” and asked Susan to monitor and prod board members to generate appropriate ordinances as required.
· Committee Reports
1. Policy: Board members received proposed new policies for: Progressive Discipline, Exhibit and Display Policy, Unattended Children – A Statement of Purpose, User Behavior Guidelines – A Statement of Purpose, Contract for Use of Public Meeting Room, Emergency/Safety Policy and Procedures, and Building Attendant Job Description. It was mentioned that habitual tardiness was added to the Progressive Discipline policy. Wed requested that all policies refer to Chillicothe Public Library District instead of just Chillicothe Public Library. Board members were instructed to review the policy changes and be prepared to vote on them at the June meeting.
2. Maintenance: No report. Ralph asked about the status of Ruyle repairs on the HVAC system. Susan reported that the failed part is covered under warranty.
3. Finance: A proposed budget for 2010-2011 was in board members’ packets. Members were instructed to review the proposal, contact Susan with any questions, and be prepared to act on the budget at the June meeting.
· Unfinished Business Bishop Brothers initial response to questions about building repairs was vague and they have not responded to requests for details. Martha will write them a letter and see if that gets a response. Susan will contact Mark Misselhorn for the name of the roofing subcontractor.
· New Business
1. Martha received a letter from Patty Audo resigning as Treasurer and resigning from the Board of Trustees. A motion was made by MJ and seconded by Ralph to accept Patty’s resignation as Treasurer and from the board. The motion passed unanimously.
2. A motion was made by Ralph and seconded by Jane to elect MJ Evans as Treasurer of the board. The motion passed unanimously.
3. Martha requested recommendations to fill the remainder of Patty’s term. Suggestions included Nona Kelly, Pat Parr, and Carol Ritter.
4. A motion was made by MJ and seconded by Jane that the library participate in the non-resident patron card program. The motion passed unanimously. The non-resident card fee will be $115 for a year.
5. Carie arrived at 7:35 p. m.
6. Board members discussed possible meeting dates for next year. It was decided that the third Tuesday of the month works well most of the time. The December meeting will move to December 14 to avoid conflicting with Christmas activities.
7. Susan and MJ have been shopping for a new desk chair for Susan.
8. Susan will request bids from local businesses and Lincoln Office to clean the library furniture. Only spot cleaning of spills have been performed since the building opened. We need to implement a regular cleaning program to take care of our furniture and make it last.
9. We will need new signature cards signed with the change of Treasurers. Susan will contact the banks and make advanced preparations. Signers will visit the various banks on Thursday morning.
10. A motion was made by MJ and seconded by Jane to move to Executive Session for purpose of 2C1, discussion of personnel at 8:10 p. m. The motion passed unanimously.
V. Executive Session (No action can be taken in Executive Session!)
· Personnel (Possible action in Regular Session)
· Property (Possible action in Regular Session)
· Litigation (Possible action in Regular Session)
VI. Reconvene for Regular Session - The board resumed regular session at 9:41 p. m.
VII. Matters arising from Executive Session - None
VIII. All other matters coming before the Board
A motion was made by Ralph and seconded by MJ to adjourn at 9:42 p. m. The motion passed unanimously.
Wed Turner, Secretary