August 17th, 2010
Chillicothe Public Library District
Board of Trustees Regular Meeting
August 17, 2010
I. Call to Order
The regular meeting of the Chillicothe Public Library District Board of Trustees was called to order at 6:30 p.m. on August 17, 2010 at the Library. Present: Martha Canopy, President; Jane Harrison, Vice President; MJ Evans, Treasurer; Wed Turner, Secretary; Ralph O’Sullivan, Trustee; Carie McIntyre, Trustee; Nona Kelley, Trustee; Susan Drissi, Library Director; and Catherine Barnett, YA Librarian. Absent: No board members were absent.
II. Pledge of Allegiance
All present united in giving the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag.
III. Public Participation/Oral and Written Communication – The Suggestion Box was empty. Susan told the board how she handled an email complaint about library business hours.
IV. Regular Session
· Minutes of July 20, 2010 meeting
The minutes of the regular meeting of July 20, 2010 were approved as corrected.
· Treasurer’s Report
A motion was made by Carie and seconded by Jane to pay the bills and transfer $30,000 from account 130-4, CEFCU MM Liquidated to account 100, Cash – CK 1st National. The motion passed unanimously. A motion was made by MJ and seconded by Nona to transfer $85,254.24 from Savings to CEFCU MM Liquidated and transfer $33,970.56 from CEFCU MM Liquidated to the 1st National Bank Bond account. The motion passed unanimously.
· Reports of Staff, Director, and President – Susan reported that the auditors were here for one day and have told her they are pleased with the changes that have been made and planned future changes.
· Committee Reports
1. Finance: There was no committee report.
2. Policy: The committee recommends that personal days start and expire coinciding with employment anniversary dates. Discussion of the proposal followed.
3. Susan supplied the board with data on various metrics that board members must know about to apply for the Per Capita Grant.
· Unfinished Business
1. Policy changes: A motion was made by Carie and seconded by Jane to accept the Progressive Discipline policy as printed in the board packets and previously discussed at the July board meeting. The motion passed unanimously.
· New Business
1. A motion was made by MJ and seconded by Nona to approve the Budget and Appropriation Ordinance 2011-4. The motion passed unanimously
2. The Treasurer described on-line banking activities that board members and staff could perform. She pointed out the convenience and reduction in phone calls to the bank for information. A motion was made by Carie and seconded by MJ to authorize the Treasurer to set up on-line view of the three 1st National accounts for the Bookkeeper, Treasurer, one member of the Finance committee (not the Treasurer) and the Library Director. The motion passed unanimously.
3. The Treasurer gave board members a presentation on the Special Reserve account, what it is, how it is created and what it can be used for. She believes the board should work on creating a Special Reserve account in the coming months.
4. A motion was made by MJ and seconded by Ralph to keep the minutes of executive sessions of the board closed. The motion passed unanimously.
5. Nona Kelley left at 7:47 p. m.
V. Executive Session (No action can be taken in Executive Session!) None
· Personnel (Possible action in Regular Session)
· Property (Possible action in Regular Session)
· Litigation (Possible action in Regular Session)
VI. Reconvene for Regular Session -
VII. Matters arising from Executive Session
VIII. All other matters coming before the Board
A motion was made by Carie and seconded by Jane to adjourn at 7:50 p. m. The motion passed unanimously.